F1: 'Anteater' car noses may be unsafe, claims Red Bull chief designer Adrian Newey
The designs have been labelled ugly - but were introduced to improve safety
Wednesday 29 January 2014
Formula One's new regulations affect almost every part of the car, from its weight down to its wings.
But the most unpopular change so far may be the new noses of
this season's cars, which many describe as unseemly and Red Bull's
chief designer calls possibly dangerous.
Among the plethora of changes, F1 has required manufacturers to lower their cars' noses, with the hope it will make cars less likely to take flight during an accident.
However, Adrian Newey believes the change might make knocks between cars potentially more dangerous. Newey said he was "concerned the opposite may occur" and cars "might submarine and go under the car in front."
And, he added, "it's a shame that regulations create ugly solutions."
Red Bull's defending champion Sebastian Vettel was hesitant to comment on the safety aspect, but he did agree with Newey that there were some less than pretty vehicles this year.
"Some of the cars look a lot like a hoover," Vettel said. "Walking around the paddock you might get sucked in."
While Red Bull and challengers Ferrari and Mercedes have opted for simply sloping their noses downward, other teams have come up with more innovative answers to F1's new rulebook.
Force India and Caterham sport similar tusk-like points, but Lotus has garnered the most attention with its two asymmetrical prongs protruding from its nose.
Lotus' nose has led Toro Rosso technical director James Key to question whether it fits the new regulations. Lotus decided to skip the first set of preseason tests being held at the Jerez track in southern Spain this week.
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'