F1: Lewis Hamilton switch to Mercedes vindicated by victory says Ross Brawn
The British driver left McLaren at the end of last season
Tuesday 30 July 2013
Related articles
-
F1: Lewis Hamilton 'massively excited' after Mercedes out-pace McLaren in Australia
-
Lewis Hamilton says it is 'time for a fresh challenge' after swapping his McLaren for Mercedes
-
Lewis Hamilton crashes new Mercedes on his first day behind the wheel
-
F1: Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg ready for favourite Grand Prix in China
-
Lewis Hamilton: I want to emulate Michael Schumacher at Ferrari
Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn believes Lewis Hamilton's decision to quit McLaren is now starting to bear fruit.
Hamilton was criticised in some quarters last year when he agreed to join Mercedes and bring the curtain down on his 14-year association with McLaren.
At the time there appeared justification for the scepticism given Mercedes ended last season with a record of one win in 58 grands prix since returning to Formula One in 2010.
Even Hamilton claimed at the start of the season he did not think he would take the chequered flag this year, instead preferring to focus on the long-term possibilities.
But after enviously seeing team-mate Nico Rosberg triumph twice this year, Hamilton finally clinched his maiden win for Mercedes on Sunday in Hungary and Brawn now believes his fellow Briton has silenced a few of his critics.
He said: "It was an important step to get that win. There's absolutely no reason why more won't follow.
"He showed faith in us at the end of last year and people speculated on the wisdom of that move.
"I hope we are now starting to show his faith was justified. It's very early days, but it's very encouraging."
The victory means Hamilton is 48 points adrift of championship leader Sebastian Vettel, who finished third at the Hungaroring behind Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen.
Heading into F1's summer break, and with Mercedes finally appearing to have cracked the code surrounding Pirelli's tyres, Brawn would like to believe his team are now in the title hunt.
"We had a strong weekend from beginning to end and if we replicate that there's no reason why momentum can't build," added Brawn.
"But we have to get both cars to the finish (Rosberg retired with an engine failure late on) and we didn't do that on Sunday.
"But I think it (the title race) is still open myself and certainly we won't be giving up."
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner is in no doubt that Mercedes and Hamilton will be a threat over the second half of the season to their hopes of winning four successive world titles.
"Lewis obviously won because he had the best car - it is as simple as that," said Horner.
"He did a great job, drove very well, everything fell perfectly for them.
"Mercedes have a very strong car. Since the second race they have been very quick, taking pole position in seven and they have won three.
"I think we are set for a really intense second half of the year. We just have to maintain our consistency no matter who the opponent is."
PA
-
Transfer news: Brendan Rodgers says Arsenal lack 'class' over their £40m pursuit of Luis Suarez
-
Transfer news: Tottenham insist Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata must be included in £87m deal for Gareth Bale
-
Australia 527-7 dec & 172-7 England 368: England can retain Ashes as rain looks to frustrate bold Aussies
-
Transfer news: Manchester United confirm second Chelsea bid for Wayne Rooney has been rejected
-
Transfer news: Arsene Wenger says it is 'difficult to predict' whether Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will sign for Arsenal
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Career Services
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






