F1 Monaco Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg agrees reported two-year contract extension with front-runners Mercedes
While confirmation is yet to come, Merecedes have said that they have 'long-term agreements' with both Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton
Friday 23 May 2014
Nico Rosberg is understood to have committed his long-term future to Mercedes.
The new deal is believed to be for two years and ties Rosberg to the German manufacturing giant through to the end of the 2016 Formula One season.
Although refusing to confirm the length of the contract, a Mercedes spokesperson said: "We have long-term relationships with both of our drivers."
Rosberg is currently in his fifth season with Mercedes having joined the team from their inception in 2010 following a buy-out of Brawn GP.
Success, however, has been hard to come by as it was not until two years later and the 2012 Chinese Grand Prix, that Rosberg finally claimed his first victory in F1 at the 111th attempt.
Further wins followed in Monaco and at the British Grand Prix last year, and again in Australia at the start of this season.
Although Mercedes are dominating the current campaign, Rosberg has had to settle for the runner-up spot at the last four races behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Heading into this weekend's race in Monaco, Rosberg now trails the Briton for the first time this season by three points.
Rosberg's contract extension means he will partner Hamilton for at least one more season in 2015, with the latter's own deal due to expire at the end of next year.
It also lays to rest recent speculation Mercedes were eyeing a move for Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.
On a recent visit to one of Mercedes' car factories in Spain Dieter Zetsche, chairman of parent company Daimler, hailed Alonso as "probably the best driver on the Formula One grid".
Zetsche added: "He has always proven it, and in uncompetitive cars."
With Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff also describing Alonso as "a monster" of the racetrack, conjecture has naturally followed the two- times world champion would be joining Mercedes.
Only this week Alonso bemoaned the lack of praise he was receiving from "people...close to you".
Although the inference appeared to suggest Alonso was criticising Ferrari, it is understood he was instead pointing an accusing finger at the Italian media.
That resulted in a remarkable statement on Thursday from Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo who put a consoling arm around Alonso by claiming him to be "the best driver in the world, who always gives 200 per cent in the races".
Di Montezemolo, who criticised the "so-called experts" for "always looking for a polemical situation that simply doesn't exist", at least does not have to worry about any further potential Mercedes overtures with Rosberg now staying put.
Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
Psychic penguins have made their pick for Arsenal vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup final...
Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
- 3 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote