F1: Nico Rosberg in need of 'toilet paper' after suffering blow out at 200mph
The Mercedes driver tweets following incident during Pirelli tyre test
Thursday 19 December 2013
Pirelli's tyre test in Bahrain has been marred by a tyre blow-out, according to a tweet from Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg.
The Italian company are to continue as Formula One's tyre supplier during the 2014 season and Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Toro Rosso have all taken part in a three-day test at the Sakhir circuit to test the new rubber.
Pirelli found themselves under the spotlight when a spate of tyre failures blighted the British Grand Prix at Silverstone which led to a change in tyre construction for the second half of the season.
Rosberg's Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton was among the drivers to be affected on that day, and the German revealed on Twitter that he himself had suffered a frightening blow-out at 200mph on Thursday morning.
The tweet, which was later deleted, read: "Just spun at full speed 320km/h on Bahrain straight cause my tyre blew up without warning. Thanks to that need to get some toilet paper now..."
"Incidents can happen," a Pirelli spokesperson told Autosport. "This is what testing is for."
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate