F1: Shamed Adrian Sutil makes most of second chance with sparkling return with Force India
Sutil was convicted of assaulting Lux with a champagne glass and given an 18-month suspended jail sentence
Monday 18 March 2013
Adrian Sutil returned to Formula One with a bang, yet ultimately reaped only seventh place on a day when he led the Australian Grand Prix in style for Force India.
But he proved to any doubters that he deserved a second chance in the big league after the incident with the then Renault executive Eric Lux in a Chinese nightclub in April 2011 that left him out in the cold for the whole of the 2012 season.
Sutil was convicted of assaulting Lux with a champagne glass and given an 18-month suspended jail sentence and a €200,000 (£173,000) fine for grievous bodily harm.
But he was given his new break by Force India after an impressive showing during testing in Barcelona in March.
Insiders in the Silverstone-based team say that Sutil (pictured) has been more humble on his return. "He went to the test in a very relaxed mood because he had accepted that it was a shoot-out between him and Jules Bianchi," one said.
"During his time out from racing he has discovered that he can make money and enjoy life, so he was more relaxed and able to take the view that if things worked out, they did. And if they didn't, well, that was the way they were meant to go.
"He genuinely wants to pay the team back for giving him this second chance," another said. "That's shown in all his dealings so far, and his attitude to everyone here."
Sutil's performance yesterday was more convincing than anything that his fellow countryman Michael Schumacher produced in three years during his comeback, and better at the same stage than Kimi Raikkonen's in 2012.
His drive, together with that of team-mate Paul Di Resta's run to eighth, helped Force India earn 10 points and take equal fourth place in the constructors' world championship with Mercedes.
Deputy Team Principal Bob Fernley said: "Adrian's return to racing has been fantastic and it's clear he has lost none of his speed or racecraft.
"He was on a different strategy to most of the front-runners, but made it work beautifully and showed strong pace throughout the Grand Prix – even leading for 11 laps."
The 30-year-old drove superbly, without any sign of rustiness as he led from lap 39 to 42, until he dropped to fifth and was unable to resist attacks from Lewis Hamilton and Mark Webber which dropped him to seventh place at the finish. "I had a fantastic race," Sutil, who took over Nico Hulkenberg after the German left for Sauber, said. "The pace was quick and the car felt very good so I was able to keep up with the guys in front of me, who I knew were going to pit early.
"It was my first time leading in Formula One. After my second pit stop I was back in the lead once again, so I knew that it was possible to come away with a great result.
"It is only three weeks since I knew I was back and I just had three test days – it couldn't be a better start. This result for the team is a perfect way to start the season and I want to say a big 'thank you' to the team once again."
Raikkonen is a throwback to simple days of Stirling Moss
the way I see it page 24
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx pages x-x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx pages x-x
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
Liverpool vs Manchester City: Brendan Rodgers and his fading Liverpool may have reached breaking point
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 Prince Harry leaving the armed forced to pursue conservation projects in Africa
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East