F1: Track marshal killed during Canadian Grand Prix won by Sebastian Vettel
The marshal was struck by a car as he helped to recover Esteban Gutierrez's Sauber
Monday 10 June 2013
A track marshal died after being injured in an accident during the Canadian Grand Prix.
The news was confirmed by motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, almost four hours after the end of the race at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, won by Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel.
It is the first death in Formula One since another marshal, Graham Beveridge, was fatally injured in the 2001 Australian Grand Prix.
A statement released by the FIA read: "The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula One Grand Prix du Canada worker at 6.02pm (local time).
"The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l'Ile Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon's race.
"The worker was helping to recover a car (Esteban Gutierrez's Sauber) which had stopped during the race.
"The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits, and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up.
"As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.
"The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, deputy chief medical officer, and Dr Jacques Bouchard, chief medical officer of the grand prix.
"Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.
"The FIA, l'Automobile Club de l'Ile Notre Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim.
"The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time."
In 2001 in Melbourne, Beveridge was struck by a flying wheel from Jacques Villeneuve's BAR-Honda that had passed through a gap in the safety fence.
A few months previously at the 2000 Italian Grand Prix in Monza, volunteer firefighter Paolo Ghislimberti died from head and chest injuries after being struck by a loose wheel from Heinz-Harald Frentzen's Jordan in the wake of a multi-car first-lap accident.
The F1 community responded immediately to the Canada death with expressions of sympathy, predominantly via Twitter.
Teams, team principals and drivers all expressed their condolences, led by race runner-up Fernando Alonso, who said: "Today there is nothing to celebrate. Terrible news arrive with the death of a marshal this race. Very sad. R.I.P."
Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Compare the Barcelona and Real Madrid players in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Jose Mourinho to push for Diego Costa to play at Old Trafford
Sunderland vs Arsenal: Premier League match preview
Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Why will the first 15 minutes of El Clasico not be shown on British TV?
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts