Ferrari say Felipe Massa will remain with team
Friday 13 May 2011
Felipe Massa will be staying at Ferrari next year, the Formula One team's president Luca di Montezemolo said today.
Asked in an interview with CNN television whether Brazilian Massa's future was secure at Ferrari, Montezemolo did not hesitate.
"Yes. He has a contract with us for this year and for next year, so absolutely yes. No question about it."
Massa suffered a serious head injury in 2009 and after recovering played a second string role to team mate Fernando Alonso last season after being given controversial 'team orders' to let the Spaniard overtake and win the German Grand Prix.
His form has been more promising this year and, while still behind double world champion Alonso in the standings, beat him in Malaysia and China.
The Brazilian's future at the team has been a frequent subject of speculation since he arrived alongside Michael Schumacher in 2006, but he brushed that off in Turkey last weekend.
"Since I came to Ferrari I have been answering all of these things about me going away, so there's nothing to say really. We concentrate on doing the best we can with the car and to get all we want," he said.
"It (the speculation) always seems to be at this time, more or less, during the season. It's the same as usual."
Montezemolo said he was very pleased with Alonso, who won his two titles with Renault and narrowly missed out on a third with Ferrari last year.
"Alonso is very, very strong. He is one of the best drivers I have seen in my career. Very strong in the mind. He is pushing the team in a constructive way but is also very close to the team," he added. "So I want to have Alonso for a long time."
The Spaniard took Ferrari's first podium of the season in Turkey after a difficult first three races for the team following a strong showing in testing.
Montezemolo said the problem lay with the wind tunnel.
"We have been a little bit too conservative in the new project but also unfortunately we have faced something that we have never seen before," he explained.
"The wind tunnel results have not been confirmed by the track. So this is not an easy problem, you have either to change the project or the wind tunnel. We are in the middle of this."
The Premier League is about earning the right to play on the counter-attack - Danny Higginbotham
Chelsea vs Crystal Palace: Alan Pardew seems to be building something special down at the Palace
John Stones to Chelsea: Next season's bumper TV deal means clubs such as Everton can say 'no'
Kevin De Bruyne: Why do Manchester City put such a high value on a player Chelsea rejected?
David De Gea to Real Madrid: Manchester United to 'make goalkeeper suffer' before deciding his fate as Real prepare £29.3m bid
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs