Formula One 2014's big questions: Ten things to look out for in the new season
Thursday 13 March 2014
1. Is this Lewis Hamilton's best chance since 2008?
Quite possibly. The Mercedes does things well and is quick and reliable. So is he.
2. Will a second Rosberg become world champion?
Nico says his relationship with Lewis is great and that they will work together, and last year confirmed that if things go well for him he could mirror father Keke's 1982 title success.
3. Can Fernando Alonso finally get his third crown?
Not if his glum expression and monosyllabic behaviour is a guide, but it is very early days yet and Ferrari are hungry for title success.
4. Will Kimi Raikkonen fluster Alonso at Ferrari?
'The Iceman' has the right mental make-up to go up against the Spaniard, but this year will reveal whether he still has what it takes to beat the best.
5. Could Felipe Massa get his own back on Alonso, with the new Williams?
The little Brazilian is pumped up right now, loves his new environment and was the fastest in testing. Don't write him off.
6. Is Sebastian Vettel really in trouble?
Yes, and even he admits that the problems facing Red Bull will not get fixed overnight, but over the long haul he will remain a formidable rival.
7. Can Daniel Ricciardo get closer to him than fellow Australian Mark Webber did of late?
'The Honey Badger' knows this is his big chance and has the pace and determination to push the multiple champion at Red Bull.
8. Will Jenson Button win for his dad?
He would love nothing better at this tough time in his life, but everything will depend on the car McLaren give the smoothest of smooth racers.
9. Could Kevin Magnussen 'do a Hamilton' in his rookie year?
The young Dane is one of the most exciting newcomers since… well, since Hamilton burst on to the scene in 2007. Watch him!
10. Is there a wild card?
Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado at troubled Lotus spring to mind, but in the early going I would go for Nico Hulkenberg at Force India and Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso to impress.
Think before you ink: Manchester United fan gets Sir Alex Ferguson tattoo - and will regret it for the rest of his life
Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Paul Scholes column: Arsenal's Mesut Ozil is too good for Arsene Wenger to waste on the left wing
VIDEO: Brazil striker Joel falls into giant hole behind advertising board when celebrating
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 3 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence referendum: JK Rowling, Russell Brand, Nigel Farage and more react to the 'No' vote
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God