Formula One 2014's big questions: Ten things to look out for in the new season
Thursday 13 March 2014
1. Is this Lewis Hamilton's best chance since 2008?
Quite possibly. The Mercedes does things well and is quick and reliable. So is he.
2. Will a second Rosberg become world champion?
Nico says his relationship with Lewis is great and that they will work together, and last year confirmed that if things go well for him he could mirror father Keke's 1982 title success.
3. Can Fernando Alonso finally get his third crown?
Not if his glum expression and monosyllabic behaviour is a guide, but it is very early days yet and Ferrari are hungry for title success.
4. Will Kimi Raikkonen fluster Alonso at Ferrari?
'The Iceman' has the right mental make-up to go up against the Spaniard, but this year will reveal whether he still has what it takes to beat the best.
5. Could Felipe Massa get his own back on Alonso, with the new Williams?
The little Brazilian is pumped up right now, loves his new environment and was the fastest in testing. Don't write him off.
6. Is Sebastian Vettel really in trouble?
Yes, and even he admits that the problems facing Red Bull will not get fixed overnight, but over the long haul he will remain a formidable rival.
7. Can Daniel Ricciardo get closer to him than fellow Australian Mark Webber did of late?
'The Honey Badger' knows this is his big chance and has the pace and determination to push the multiple champion at Red Bull.
8. Will Jenson Button win for his dad?
He would love nothing better at this tough time in his life, but everything will depend on the car McLaren give the smoothest of smooth racers.
9. Could Kevin Magnussen 'do a Hamilton' in his rookie year?
The young Dane is one of the most exciting newcomers since… well, since Hamilton burst on to the scene in 2007. Watch him!
10. Is there a wild card?
Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado at troubled Lotus spring to mind, but in the early going I would go for Nico Hulkenberg at Force India and Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso to impress.
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: The best memes as the internet reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals the Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians