Jacques Villeneuve planning F1 return
Wednesday 21 July 2010
Corporate backers are behind Jacques Villeneuve's plans for a Formula One comeback next season, the former world champion said today.
In a statement on his website, the 39-year-old Canadian confirmed a link up with Italy-based Durango in bidding to become the 13th team on the grand prix starting grid.
"There are a number of rumours circulating at the moment and I wanted to clarify a few things before this gets out of hand," said Villeneuve.
"The team will be a joint venture with Durango, and based out of Italy. To be clear, right now all the money comes from corporate sponsorship and not from personal investors."
Durango owner Ivone Pinton said last week that he had joined forces with Villeneuve, who would be a driver for the planned team but was also looking for a role after he stops competing.
Villeneuve, the 1997 world champion with Williams as well as a winner of the Indy 500 and CART series, last competed in Formula One in 2006.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) has invited applications for the 13th slot and is expected to decide in the coming weeks whether any have what it takes to participate at a time when some teams are struggling to raise sponsorship.
Durango ran a car for Villeneuve in the Dubai-based Speedcar series until that folded last year and themselves dropped out of the GP2 support series in 2009 due to financial problems.
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut