Mark Webber ends speculation over future by signing new Red Bull deal
Tuesday 10 July 2012
Mark Webber has today ended speculation surrounding his future by signing a new one-year contract with Red Bull Racing for 2013.
Australian Webber, who claimed the ninth victory of his Formula One career on Sunday by taking the chequered flag in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, had been linked with a move to Ferrari next year.
But the 35-year-old, firmly in the title hunt this season as he trails Ferrari's Fernando Alonso by 13 points in the standings, has opted to remain with Red Bull for what will now be a seventh season.
Webber, who hinted over the weekend he was close to tying up his future, said: "I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time.
"I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders.
"I know the team well and I'm very comfortable here. We have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.
"The team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races.
"It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."
Horner, who last week said Webber's motivation and driving this season could not be faulted, has moved quickly this year to secure his services.
Horner said: "Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive.
"Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums.
"As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."
With team-mate Sebastian Vettel already contracted to Red Bull Racing until the end of 2014, the Milton Keynes-based marque are the first team to confirm their 2013 driver line-up.
Brendan Rodgers says Manchester City's slip is timely warning for Liverpool title hopes
30 players who could be set for a big-money transfer this summer
Manchester United transfer news: David Moyes watches Porto stars Eliaquim Mangala and Jackson Martinez as recruitment drive steps up a gear
Barcelona 1 Real Madrid 2 match report: Gareth Bale scores wonder goal to claim Copa del Rey for Real
Luis Suarez: Could Liverpool cash in on their star striker if they won the Premier League this season?
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back