Massa completes first F1 test since accident
Monday 12 October 2009
Ferrari driver Felipe Massa took his first test drive in a Formula One car since a life-threatening accident earlier this year.
The Brazilian drove a F2007 today at Ferrari's private test track.
Massa was knocked unconscious by a loose car part in qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix in July and crashed into a safety barrier. He injured his left eye area and required surgery and later had a metal plate inserted.
After an initial lap to get reoriented, Massa returned to the garage briefly and then headed back out on the track, according to the ANSA news agency.
On Saturday, Massa was cleared in medical exams with governing body FIA at a hospital in Paris.
While he has hinted several times since the accident that he would like to return for the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP on 1 November, Ferrari have now confirmed that Massa won't race again until next season.
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’