McLaren in mix despite Hamilton's narrow escape
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Saturday 27 August 2011
Red Bull's Mark Webber set the pace here yesterday, as half a second covered the Australian and rivals Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton, and the notoriously changeable weather did its best to disrupt things.
In between rain showers Webber lapped in 1minute 50.321sec, with Alonso on 1:50.461, Button 1:50.770 and Hamilton 1:50.838. Championship leader Sebastian Vettel was 10th on 1:51.790. As Webber reported working "mainly on housekeeping, like ride heights and brake balance", Button said: "Despite the changeable weather, I think we learnt quite a bit today. I tried a couple of different rear wing combinations today – and each had their positives and negatives. The Red Bulls are very strong in the middle sector, but we're definitely in good shape overall."
Hamilton echoed his thoughts, but said he felt lucky to avoid an accident. "I had a big moment on the approach to Blanchimont in P1. I drove across a small river on the track – I must have been doing around 150mph – and I had a huge tank-slapper. I'm glad I was alert enough to correct it, otherwise we could have ended up with all four corners and both wings knocked off the car!
"The top three or four teams all look competitive; now our challenge is to make the right choices with the wings and downforce levels."
As Ayrton Senna's nephew Bruno set the 17th fastest time after returning to race duty for the first time since 2010 with the Renault team, the man he replaced confirmed that he would be taking legal action to get back into "his" car in Singapore. Nick Heidfeld's legal representative Dr Stefan Seitz said: "The interlocutory decision of the court does not infringe on the fact that Nick has a valid contract to be one of the two main drivers of the team. This position is disputed by the team for apparently purely financial reasons. We do not intend to rest before Nick's legal position has been fully restored."
Meanwhile, Silverstone Circuit is believed to have been leased out to a private bidder for around $400m (£245m) for 100 years. The owner, the British Racing Drivers' Club, have confirmed that former racer Derek Warwick has been appointed president to succeed outgoing Damon Hill, and a new deal would allow the club to implement its recently revealed development plan which includes three hotels and a heritage centre.
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Carl Jenkinson: Arsenal fullback joins West Ham on season-long loan
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres is staying at Stamford Bridge
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us