McLaren team director Martin Whitmarsh: 'Red Bull are doing well but everyone else is suffering'
Saturday 16 February 2013
Red Bull are the only Formula One team prospering financially and seven of the other 10 are struggling to the extent that they are in “survival” mode.
The McLaren team director Martin Whitmarsh, who is also chairman of the Formula One Teams’ Association that represents the majority of the sport’s competitors, claims the expensive sport is suffering in the world’s difficult economic climate.
He said: “It’s tough. We’re in the world of advertising and you only have to see how advertising is worldwide. We have taken some measures, but I think it’s going to be tough for some.”
Whitmarsh said a number of teams will find it hard to “have a viable business model for a few years”, while Cyril Abiteboul, head of Caterham, thinks only world champions Red Bull are doing well but “everyone else is suffering”.
A sports marketing expert with knowledge of F1, who did not want to be named, said: “I guess at least half a dozen [teams] are likely to be not self-sufficient.
“The acid test should be if the team is sustainable without support from a shareholder, who are often also sponsors.
“If the answer is ‘yes’, then the business is healthy. If not, then teams will still probably survive but only because the owners keep them going.
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’