Michael Schumacher backs controversial staging of Bahrain Grand Prix
Thursday 22 March 2012
Michael Schumacher is convinced the Bahrain Grand Prix organisers will pull out all the stops to ensure no harm befalls the Formula One fraternity next month.
The sport is due to make its return to the Gulf kingdom in just four weeks' time following a two-year break after last season's race was cancelled in the wake of anti-government protests.
Clashes between police and protesters continue on a daily basis, primarily in villages on the outskirts of the capital Manama.
There is the fear further protests will occur, in particular in the week of the race itself as the biggest event to be staged in the country unfolds since the last grand prix in 2010.
But asked about the prospect ahead of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, seven-times champion Schumacher concedes to being "pretty relaxed to go there".
The 43-year-old Mercedes driver added: "From our perspective we're going to be very well looked after because they might foresee whatever, but we'll be prepared.
"I've a few good friends over there, and I'm pretty sure for them it's a very important event, and they just want to make everybody happy.
"If you look around the world you will find in other places the possibility to think about similar things, but we don't.
"At the end of the day I'm pretty certain they're going to do their utmost and we'll be okay."
Reigning double world champion Sebastian Vettel shared his German compatriot's sentiments.
Vettel said: "There are a lot of people who have to make a decision as to whether it's safe or not.
"If they decide it's safe then we shouldn't worry, so I'm happy to go to Bahrain.
"Of course, it was a shame the race didn't happen last year, but I think ultimately it was the right call.
"It's not really our business, and we'll see what happens, but I am quite confident we'll be all right."
Jenson Button, however, winner of the season-opening grand prix in Australia on Sunday, was a little more circumspect as he said: "I think for us, as you know, it's a very difficult subject.
"Personally, from my point of view and for all of us, we need to look at the FIA for common sense, and we will go with what they have to say."
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Cristiano Ronaldo applauded by Liverpool fans after master-class for Real Madrid, despite Manchester United ties
Angel Di Maria injury latest: Argentina international set to play in Manchester United vs Chelsea match
Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Cristiano Ronaldo says he is playing Barca - not just Lionel Messi - in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Erik Lamela goal: Best tweets and reaction to Tottenham man's Rabona
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are