Motorcycling: Tom Sykes moves to top ranking
Sunday 30 June 2013
Tom Sykes took over at the top of the World Superbike Championship standings after winning both races at Imola yesterday. The Briton now sits on 235pts, six clear of Sylvain Guintoli, after his second double win of the season following his success at Donington last month.
Sykes' challenge was helped when Frenchman Guintoli had to retire his Aprilia. The 27-year-old Sykes then led the second race from start to finish to move to the top of the points table for the first time in his career. Sykes' success in race one was his fourth this year and followed a tussle with Althea Aprilia's Davide Giugliano, who lost contact with his rival only in the latter stages.
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
Salmond accused of laughing off national debt with ‘what are they going to do: invade?’ joke