Nico Rosberg spared on-track punishment after collision with Lewis Hamilton at Belgian Grand Prix
Mercedes have taken disciplinary action over incident
Saturday 30 August 2014
Nico Rosberg has been spared any on-track punishment following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the controversial Belgian Grand Prix.
READ MORE: Mercedes punish Rosberg
Mercedes confirmed taking "suitable disciplinary measures" against Rosberg following what the team's motorsport boss Wolff has described as a "professional" meeting on Friday at the team's headquarters in Brackley.
Wolff declined to reveal the exact nature of Rosberg's punishment, although it is understood, despite his multi-millionaire status and big-money contract with Mercedes, he has been hit with a severe financial penalty.
Crucially, the 29-year-old German - and Hamilton - have been reminded of their duties and responsibilities to the team, and that further breaches of discipline will not be tolerated.
What Mercedes have made clear is that 'payback' for Hamilton was not in their thinking. The Briton was ultimately forced to retire in Spa after his second-lap collision with Rosberg caused a puncture.
With Rosberg going on to finish second and open up a 29-point gap at the top of the drivers' standings, it had been suggested he could be forced to yield position, either in a future qualifying session or grand prix, or even be handed a race ban.
But Wolff rejected that speculation and told Press Association Sport: "The team discussed at length what the consequences could be.
"But there is one thing we stand for at Mercedes-Benz, and this is racing, straight and fair racing, and we remain committed to that.
"Both drivers are racing at the absolute limit against each other, and we are not going to interfere in the race result, or pre-agree any race result. This is not what we will ever do.
"When the racing happens we need to react sometimes, but we will not pre-agree in favour of one or the other. This is not what we do."
It was a heated post-race meeting at Spa on Sunday, with Hamilton saying afterwards that Rosberg had admitted driving into him on purpose "to prove a point".
After letting a few days to pass for tempers to cool, Wolff has revealed the Friday meeting in the boardroom at the team's Brackley headquarters between himself, the drivers and executive technical director Paddy Lowe went well as the quartet reviewed what was a damaging result.
"The meeting reminded us again of the circumstances and that the outcome was unacceptable and painful," added Wolff.
"But considering what happened (at Spa) was not a satisfactory situation at all, the meeting was professional and I think the outcome was okay.
"Sometimes you need situations like this to clear the air, to enable us to move forward stronger as a team with clear rules.
"Just to add, we didn't oblige or force Nico to make an apology. It was his decision. He said he had looked at things and that was what he had decided."
Hamilton suggested post-race he would struggle to trust Rosberg in future, and it remains to be seen over the final seven races what will transpire when they go wheel-to-wheel again.
Regarding trust between them, Wolff added: "The drivers have to respect each other, and this is what they do.
"But you can never expect to avoid a bumpy ride when you have two drivers from the same team in a world championship fight."
Chelsea transfer news: Blues linked with £43m deal for Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann
Juventus 2 Real Madrid 1 player ratings: Carlos Tevez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Alvaro Morata on target - but who scored highest?
David Beckham reveals secret of his success: I 'stayed in to watch Match of the Day' rather than go out with friends on a Saturday night
Cristiano Ronaldo sticks up for Japanese boy after he struggles to speak Portuguese
Patrice Evra points to 'Manchester United blood' after Carlos Tevez inspires Juventus win over Real Madrid
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP