Paul Di Resta promises no-one at Force India will stand in his way should a big team come calling
Wednesday 26 June 2013
Paul Di Resta has been promised no-one at Force India will stand in his way should a big team come calling this season.
Di Resta is currently enjoying his strongest start to a season since he first arrived in Formula One in 2011, scoring points in six of the seven grands prix so far.
That includes equalling his career-high best performance of fourth in Bahrain in April, enabling him to rack up 34 points and lie eighth in the current drivers' championship standings.
Although Di Resta has a contract with Force India for 2014, there is no doubt he is putting himself in the shop window for a move.
Deputy team principal Bob Fernley has confirmed to Press Association Sport the Silverstone-based team would release Di Resta if an offer comes in.
"Paul is contracted to us anyway for next season, so the question is whether somebody else comes in, so it won't be our decision," said Fernley.
"Whether Paul has to be released, or whatever, that can only come from him.
"But we wouldn't stand in his way. That's not our policy. If a driver feels he is better somewhere else, what would be the point in keeping him?
"We proved that at the end of last year with Nico Hulkenberg (who joined Sauber). Did we want to lose Nico? Not at all.
"He was a great member of our team, but we didn't get in the way of that particular move.
"We then proved by bringing in Adrian (Sutil) we are capable of recovering from such a situation and carrying on as normal.
"Maybe Nico is asking a few questions himself today, although last year it didn't look such a bad option."
Fernley is convinced the team can continue its run of form on Sunday at Silverstone which has propelled them to fifth in the constructors' championship, even ahead of under-performing McLaren.
"I don't think we should be frightened of anything," added Fernley.
"We've been on every variation of track over the seven races so far and we've performed well at all of them.
"I think we can hold our top-10 qualifying position - assuming we can get that bit right - and it will all fall out in the race again.
"But we are genuinely the fifth quickest team out there at the moment. I don't think there is any doubt about that."
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'