Piquet defends 'crashgate' actions
Monday 05 October 2009
Nelson Piquet Junior claims his former team Renault had "threatened" to withdraw his contract unless he agreed to purposefully crash during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.
In what has become known as 'crashgate', the French manufacturer was last month found guilty of causing an accident to aid the cause of their driver Fernando Alonso, who went on to win the race.
The allegations cost former Renault team principal Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineering Pat Symonds their jobs, with the pair stepping down from their posts shortly after details of the incident were made public.
Renault were subsequently given a disqualification suspended until the end of the 2011 season for their role in Piquet Jr's crash.
The 24-year-old has since spoken of his regret at agreeing to the conspiracy, but in an interview with Brazilian television, which was published in The Times, Piquet Jr claimed his Renault contract was under threat unless he agreed to the crash during last season's race in Singapore.
"Some people have suggested that I was blackmailing Renault to continue my career but the situation was more complicated for a long time before," he said.
"At each race it was always the same story of threatening to withdraw my contract or the renewal for the next season.
"I made the allegation so that no other driver would go through what I went through and, more importantly, so that the whole episode would be clarified the way it has been."
Piquet Jr also admitted he did not consider the impact the incident would have on his career, with the Brazilian coming in for a great deal of criticism from several figures in Formula One.
"It all happened so quickly and I must confess that I could never possibly have weighed up the consequences," he continued.
"The crash plan was only made hours before the race. I did not have time to think straight. I didn't have a great qualifying and this was also a contributory factor to me accepting the strategy late in the day.
"I was in a difficult position at the time and the renegotiation of my contract was in play if I didn't accept the strategy.
"Some people have suggested I should have been punished by the FIA but, in reality, no one has been punished more than I have.
"I am at the beginning of my career, unlike the others who have been punished in this case. I am going to have to overcome many obstacles. I more or less have to start my career from scratch in Formula One."
Despite his role in the events in Singapore, Piquet Jr insist he has no regrets about blowing the whistle on his former team.
"Today I am just trying to carry on with my work. Motor racing is my passion and I've got to work hard to prove my worth on the track," he said.
"I know that I committed an error but I would have committed another if I hadn't gone public with everything that happened to me."
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace