Piquet eyes move to NASCAR after F1scandal
Wednesday 07 October 2009
Brazilian Nelson Piquet is eyeing a move to NASCAR's pickup truck racing series after his stint in Formula One was tainted by a race-fixing controversy with Renault.
Piquet said on his website that he and compatriot Vitor Meira would test a NASCAR Camping World truck series Toyota Tundra for Red Horse Racing at Rockingham Speedway in North Carolina next Monday.
Red Horse said 24-year-old Piquet planned to "evaluate a future career among the NASCAR ranks."
The team's owner, Tom DeLoach, said making the switch would not be easy but believed Piquet and Meira could pull it off.
"It's not an easy thing to do, to go from an open wheel background to racing stock cars, but they are both immensely talented and have the ability to be successful in any series they chose to race in," he added.
Piquet triggered one of Formula One's biggest scandals after being dropped by Renault in July when he told the governing body that he had been told to crash deliberately at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.
The Brazilian said he had done so to help his Spanish team mate Fernando Alonso, who was cleared of any involvement in the conspiracy, to win the race.
Renault team boss Flavio Briatore was banned for life for his role in the affair while Renault were handed a suspended permanent ban. Piquet was given immunity in return for testifying.
Kirstie Allsopp has waded into the female fertility debate again
...and it wasn't caused by an asteroid crash, as first thought
Arsene Wenger 18th anniversary at Arsenal: His WORST signings XI during his time with the Gunners
John Terry desperate to avoid repeat of crying game by securing silverware
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Nani: On loan Sporting Lisbon winger admits he may not return to Manchester United
Arsenal vs Galatasaray: Five things we learnt from the Emirates
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 4 Brad Pitt, on the moment he completely lost his temper with Clint Eastwood's son
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Former Tory donor Arron Banks ups his Ukip donation to £1million following William Hague 'nobody' comment
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so