Robert Kubica delays return to Formula One
Wednesday 23 November 2011
Formula One driver Robert Kubica has told the Lotus Renault GP team he will not be fit enough to start the 2012 season.
Kubica has missed the whole of the 2011 season after being seriously injured in a rallying accident last winter.
The team had initially hoped the Polish driver would be fit enough to return to action this season but now he has had to delay that until after the start of next season.
That leaves the team with a choice of three drivers to fill its two seats next season - Vitaly Petrov, Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean - unless management at the Oxfordshire-based outfit look outside their current line-up.
Kubica will remain with the Enstone set-up - a situation the team confirmed in a statement released today - and is currently in talks over a possible deal for 2013.
Kubica, who finished the 2010 season in eighth in the driver standings, said: "Even if I've been working very, very hard over the course of the last few weeks, I came to the conclusion that I am not yet certain to be ready for the 2012 season.
"I have called the team and I have informed them of the situation. This was a difficult decision to make, but it is the most reasonable one.
"I also know that LRGP need to prepare for next year, and further extending deadlines would not have been the right thing to do.
"On a personal level, my recovery is still very encouraging and my doctors keep being impressed. I just need more time, as I want to be 100% ready before I commit to anything driving related."
In the crash in a rally in Andorra in February Kubica suffered partial amputation of his forearm and compound fractures to his right elbow, shoulder and leg.
Following three operations Kubica has undergone a lengthy period of rehabilitation but has so far not driven a car and has subsequently decided to delay the possible date of his return to racing.
Team principal and managing director Eric Boullier confirmed the disappointment that Kubica would not race in Australia in the opening GP of next season.
Boullier said: "As a team and as a family, we remain 100% behind him and we'll help as much as we can.
"A programme composed of simulator testing, single-seater and F1 track time is awaiting him.
"In the meantime, we will start talking to a few drivers in order to finalise our line-up for next year as soon as possible."
Arsenal have no plans to stock Petr Cech inspired caps in club shops - yet
Nathaniel Clyne joins Liverpool: Transfer news live - Arda Turan decision, Petr Cech reaction, Sergio Ramos to Manchester United
Christian Benteke to Liverpool: Aston Villa striker ready to reject Tottenham
Nigel Pearson: Leicester City sack manager despite Premier League survival
Arda Turan announcement expected on Friday: Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United possible destinations
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Russian officials ban yoga because it's too much like a religious cult
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Ginger Pride festival to take place next summer, organisers say 'time of bullying gingers is over'
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS