Rosberg takes first career pole in China
Saturday 14 April 2012
Germany's Nico Rosberg, driving a Mercedes, took the first pole position of his Formula One career at the Chinese Grand Prix today.
His team mate, seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, will start alongside on the front row after qualifying third. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who was second fastest, has a five place grid penalty.
The pole was the first for Mercedes with their own team since Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio at the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. Mercedes left the sport that same year and returned under their own name in 2010.
Rosberg's pole came in his 111th race in the sport.
1. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes
2. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes
3. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber - Ferrari
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus - Renault
5. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren
6. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault
7. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren
8. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari
9. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari
10. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault
11. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault
12. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari
13. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams - Renault
14. Bruno Senna (Brazil) Williams - Renault
15. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India - Mercedes
16. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes
17. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
18. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
19. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Caterham - Renault
20. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Caterham - Renault
21. Timo Glock (Germany) Marussia - Cosworth
22. Charles Pic (France) Marussia - Cosworth
23. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) HRT - Cosworth
24. Narain Karthikeyan (India) HRT - Cosworth
England vs Lithuania: Wayne Rooney rules out repeat of boxing celebration after son Kai repeats it at school and focuses on goalscoring record
Paul Scholes: Frustrated Steven Gerrard should have started crucial game between Liverpool and Manchester United
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
England vs Lithuania: Theo Walcott 'at risk of being left behind' in Three Lions pecking order
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Jeremy Clarkson calls on trolls to leave producer Oisin Tymon alone: 'None of this is his fault'
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest