Rosberg takes first career pole in China
Saturday 14 April 2012
Germany's Nico Rosberg, driving a Mercedes, took the first pole position of his Formula One career at the Chinese Grand Prix today.
His team mate, seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, will start alongside on the front row after qualifying third. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who was second fastest, has a five place grid penalty.
The pole was the first for Mercedes with their own team since Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio at the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. Mercedes left the sport that same year and returned under their own name in 2010.
Rosberg's pole came in his 111th race in the sport.
1. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes
2. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes
3. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber - Ferrari
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus - Renault
5. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren
6. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault
7. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren
8. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari
9. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari
10. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault
11. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault
12. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari
13. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams - Renault
14. Bruno Senna (Brazil) Williams - Renault
15. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India - Mercedes
16. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes
17. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
18. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
19. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Caterham - Renault
20. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Caterham - Renault
21. Timo Glock (Germany) Marussia - Cosworth
22. Charles Pic (France) Marussia - Cosworth
23. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) HRT - Cosworth
24. Narain Karthikeyan (India) HRT - Cosworth
New day (slowly) rising – As Brasileirão gets underway, Brazilian football stumbles, rather than leaps into the future
The average Serie A crowd last year was 13,000 - comparable to Australia’s A-League.
by James Young
24 May 2013 04:31 PM
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
The Calvin report: Stirring Champions League final shows how far English game must advance
Borussia Dortmund 1 Bayern Munich 2 match report: Arjen Robben proves Mr Reliant for for Bayern
French Open: Poker-loving Rafael Nadal seeks eight of a kind at Roland Garros
England's versatile quartet to replace old rearguard
Boxing: Revenge for Carl Froch with unanimous decision over Mikkel Kessler
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.