Rosberg takes first career pole in China
Saturday 14 April 2012
Germany's Nico Rosberg, driving a Mercedes, took the first pole position of his Formula One career at the Chinese Grand Prix today.
His team mate, seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, will start alongside on the front row after qualifying third. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who was second fastest, has a five place grid penalty.
The pole was the first for Mercedes with their own team since Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio at the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. Mercedes left the sport that same year and returned under their own name in 2010.
Rosberg's pole came in his 111th race in the sport.
1. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes
2. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes
3. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber - Ferrari
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus - Renault
5. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren
6. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault
7. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren
8. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari
9. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari
10. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault
11. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault
12. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari
13. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams - Renault
14. Bruno Senna (Brazil) Williams - Renault
15. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India - Mercedes
16. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes
17. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
18. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
19. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Caterham - Renault
20. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Caterham - Renault
21. Timo Glock (Germany) Marussia - Cosworth
22. Charles Pic (France) Marussia - Cosworth
23. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) HRT - Cosworth
24. Narain Karthikeyan (India) HRT - Cosworth
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Think before you ink: Manchester United fan gets Sir Alex Ferguson tattoo - and will regret it for the rest of his life
Daniel Sturridge injury latest: Liverpool striker says he is 'closer to fitness each day'
Bayern Munich vs Manchester City player ratings: Joe Hart? Thomas Muller? Jerome Boateng? Who was the star man?
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Mesut Ozil given the worst rating possible by German newspaper Bild after poor performance
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'