Rubens Barrichello confirms IndyCar move
Thursday 01 March 2012
Rubens Barrichello has today officially confirmed his switch to IndyCar.
Barrichello was released by Williams at the end of last season to bring to an end his 19-year career in Formula One, much to his bitter disappointment as he still believed he had much to offer.
But following a couple of successful tests with KV Racing, the 39-year-old has decided to join the team co-owned by former CART champion Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven.
After previously insisting to wife Silvana he would never race on oval circuits, Barrichello has gone back on his word and will now compete in all 15 rounds of this year's championship.
That includes four oval tracks, including the renowned Indy 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Silvana's scepticism would have increased following the horrific accident which claimed the life of Dan Wheldon in the final race of last year's series in Las Vegas.
According to the team, it was Barrichello's children who convinced Silvana their father should pursue his goals for this year.
Barrichello said: "I am thrilled. I will start as a rookie, but I think I will get better as the year progresses. My main thing is to be an addition to the team.
"They have been doing very well. Tony (Kanaan) brought them to a different level last year, so I hope with my contribution we can build on this and take the team to another level.
"I am extremely happy and have a big smile on my face."
Barrichello's arrival is undoubtedly a good news story for IndyCar as appreciated by four-times champion Dario Franchitti.
Via his Twitter account, Franchitti said: "Great news rubarrichello is confirmed in IndyCar. I think the competition level just went up again!!"
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile