Schumacher targets title in three years
German aims high on F1 return while Alonso relishes chance to renew rivalry
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Friday 15 January 2010
It is as if he has never been away. Michael Schumacher is once more the centre of Formula One's attention with the German yesterday declaring he will win an eighth world championship within three years, while Fernando Alonso traces his re-discovered "motivation" to the return of his old rival.
Schumacher this week set out on the road to the opening Grand Prix in March by completing more than 100 pratice laps in Jerez. It left the oldest driver in the field relishing his return, and aiming as high as ever.
"We have a clear aim and that is for me to become world champion with Mercedes," said Schumacher, who has signed a three-year deal. "Maybe it won't happen immediately, but it is a realistic aim over the three years."
Schumacher, who retired for the first time in 2006, came close to a comeback last season before a neck injury prevented any return. He did admit to a little pain in the neck after his testing over the last three days, but is otherwise in good shape.
"That is down to the excellent care from my wife Corinna," said Schumacher. "She keeps me young and fit. Somehow, I seem to have managed to make myself look a bit younger than I am. Maybe I have good genes."
Alonso is following in Schumacher's footsteps at Ferrari and is relishing the chance to again pit himself against the man he beat to the world crown in Schumacher's last two seasons. "When Michael left it was not the same beating the others," said Alonso. "To beat a legend is very motivating."
Alonso, speaking in the Italian ski resort of Madonna di Campiglio where Ferrari are holding their regular pre-season jaunt, is a happy man following his move from Renault, and that has not always been the case. "I've felt comfortable from my first day. The team has welcomed me like a family," said the 28-year-old.
His relationship with new team-mate Felipe Massa will be closely observed as the pair have previous. "We were competitive people in 2007 [when they clashed in the Spanish and European grands prix] but we have a good relationship and this is the past," Alonso said. "I never ask to be the No 1 driver in any team but I do not want to be the No 2. I'm not saying I want any preference but I work 110 per cent with the team and if the team isn't working to the same level then that's not right."
Stefano Domenicali, Ferrari's principal, says all will be well between the pair. "We have two Latin drivers and it's a gush of fresh air," he said, fingers no doubt crossed tight.
Robin van Persie to Lekhwiya: Manchester United striker linked with switch to join Michael Laudrup in Qatar
Sam Allardyce sacked -Newcastle survive - Hull relegated - LIVE: Premier League reaction to Walcott hat-trick, Liverpool defeat, Steven Gerrard goal
Jurgen Klopp favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool if he's sacked
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Sam Allardyce sacked: West Ham wait just a few minutes after final game to axe manager
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland