Wheldon's death due to 'perfect storm' of factors
Friday 16 December 2011
IndyCar officials yesterday determined British driver Dan Wheldon was killed by blunt force head trauma after colliding with a fence post that lined the Las Vegas Motor Speedway track.
The two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was involved in a multi-car pile-up in the final race of this year's season on 16 October. IndyCar has spent the last two months piecing together all the evidence to determine the cause of Wheldon's death at the age of just 33.
Critics had previously queried the speed of the cars, the quality of the chassis, the short 1.5-mile high-banked oval at Las Vegas, and the number of cars involved, 34. All, however, have effectively been dismissed, and instead it has been suggested the accident could have occurred at any track, at any time.
The IndyCar chief executive, Randy Bernhard, said: "Whilst several factors coincided to produce a perfect storm, none of them can be singled out as the sole cause of the accident. For this reason it is impossible to determine with certainty that the result would have been any different if one or more of the factors did not exist."
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK