No substitute for Borg

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Plans to replay one of the classic men's matches between John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg as a fitting spectacle with which to officially close the soon-to-be demolished No 1 Court on Sunday have been shelved. Borg, 40, collapsed at a seniors tournament in the Netherlands last month and it has not been possible to bring in a replacement for the five-times singles champion.

"The way the weather is shaping up there may be matches on Court One on Sunday, anyway," a spokesman for the All England Lawn Tennis Club said. "We aren't planning to demolish it straight away so the last match could even be a Davis Cup tie in the autumn."

McEnroe may not be able to repeat his 1980 classic against Borg, but he recently added one more title to his vast array, being named Father of the Year.

Asked if he longed to return to competitive tennis, McEnroe said: "When I saw the bottom half of the draw I fancied it, but there are some junior players out there who could beat me if they had a good day."

Comments