Non-League Football: Familiar Spur for Roberts

Click to follow
The Independent Online
WHILE their successors endure a season of strife, two former Tottenham players who enjoyed happier days at White Hart Lane come face to face in the second round of the FA Trophy tomorrow. Worthing, managed by Gerry Armstrong, entertain Graham Roberts' Enfield side on the Sussex coast, for a place in the last 16 of the tournament.

Worthing are in the middle of the Diadora League First Division, while Enfield are riding high in the Premier. That does not worry Armstrong, though. 'We played really well when we beat Marlow (the Premier Division leaders) 3-0 in the first round on Monday,' the former Northern Ireland international said yesterday, 'and we beat Carshalton (second in the Premier) by the same score in an earlier round.'

Roberts and Armstrong played in the same Spurs side in 1980. 'We've been good friends ever since,' Roberts said. Although Armstrong has hung up his boots, the 34-year-old Roberts will be turning out tomorrow. He will not, however, be the oldest player on the pitch - in goal for Enfield will be the 42-year-old John Burridge, just arrived from Lincoln City.

Armstrong has been to Belfast this week to be interviewed for his country's managerial vacancy. 'I'm on a shortlist of four (along with Jimmy and Chris Nicholl and Bryan Hamilton), chosen from 20 applicants,' he said. 'I'm really pleased to get that far.' He expects to hear next week whether he has pipped the favourite, Jimmy Nicholl, for the post.

Chelmsford City scored six goals in a Beazer Homes League Premier Division fixture at Farnborough on Tuesday - but still lost, 7-6. There were two hat-tricks, Chris Boothe for the home side in the first half and Tony Rogers for City, who were 5-2 down at half-time. Peter Terry hit the winner eight minutes from the end, with his first touch after leaving the substitutes' bench.

Cardiff City, one of this season's FA Cup giant-killers, needed a last- minute goal from another substitute, Darren Adams, to stay in the Welsh Cup at Ebbw Vale on Wednesday. The Konica League team had taken the lead in the quarter-final tie through their captain, Andy Miles, after 36 minutes.