NON-LEAGUE NOTEBOOK: Conference calls for stronger voice
Friday 17 December 1999
The protests from the Conference were timed to co-incide with this week's meeting of the FA's shareholders, which gave its approval to the reform programme previously agreed by the FA Council. The relevant part of the re-structuring plan will see a big reduction in the influence of the Council. Major commercial and business decisions will instead be taken by a new board of directors, with 14 members and an age limit of 70.
The composition of the board of directors is still under debate, and will not be finalised until next month. What is known is that it will include six representatives of non-professional football - the sector the FA now refers to as the "national game".
John Moules, the Chief Executive of the Conference, revealed to this newspaper yesterday that the FA had offered the Conference guaranteed representation on the new board, but that this offer had been withdrawn. Since then the Conference has tried in vain to arrange a meeting with the FA to discuss the re-structuring.
The FA also plans to set up a board to run the "national game", which will comprise the six representatives of non- professional football from the main board, eight Council members and one from schools football. The Conference is concerned that its influence will be restricted to this junior board, and that it may not have a voice on the senior board.
Although the Conference may yet be awarded one or more places on the main board, it still feels it is worth speaking out. "We are extremely concerned at the FA's proposals," Moules said. "They will have a dramatic impact on our game and it is worrying that the governing body has chosen not to discuss those areas which directly affect Conference clubs.
"Under the new proposals, the Association has once again omitted [us] from the decision-making forum. Rather than unite football, the new structure seems intent on maintaining the traditional divide.
"We have the clear danger," Moules added, "of Conference football being handed over to the jurisdiction of people who are not in a position to adequately represent our level of the game."
n Mark Wright, the former Liverpool and England defender, is the new manager of Southport.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...