Offiah revels in the sunshine

Click to follow
The Independent Online
London Broncos recorded their second Super League victory of the season with an easy 28-10 victory over Paris in the spring sunshine at The Stoop yesterday as Martin Offiah scored a hat-trick. His third was made by his former Wigan team-mate, Shaun Edwards, who made his London debut as a substitute.

London were clearly the better team and took the lead after 11 minutes through Offiah. The winger scored his second five minutes later when he switched from his usual position on the left wing to appear at acting- half and force his way over from five metres out.

The Broncos looked capable of scoring almost at will and went further ahead with a try from Robbie Beazley. Terry Matterson kicked his third successful conversion as the Broncos, with an 18-0 lead, threatened to run away with the game.

But Paris showed some fighting spirit and reduced their deficit with a try from Nicholas Hyde six minutes before half-time.

Tony Martin restored the home side's advantage eight minutes into the second half before Offiah completed his hat-trick courtesy of a neat pass from Edwards.

Paris managed to cross the line once more through Jamie Olejnik six minutes from time.

Salford Reds, last year's First Division champions, made it two wins out of two in the Super League after surviving an Oldham fightback.

The Reds swept into a 22-0 lead after 26 minutes but Oldham, who have now lost all three of their Super League matches, hit back to trail only 28-22 with 10 minutes left.

Then the Salford substitute, Scott Naylor, crashed over for a crucial try to restore the Reds' 10-point lead, although Darren Abram's second touchdown for the Bears cut the gap again to 34-26. Ian Watson, who had a fine game at scrum-half, added a late drop goal to ease Salford's nerves.

The former Australian Test winger, Willie Carne, who has switched to playing rugby union for Queensland, is set to join the London Broncos when his union commitments end in May.