Aaron Cook's Olympic omission ratified by British Olympic Association
Friday 08 June 2012
Lutalo Muhammad's nomination for London 2012 has been ratified by the British Olympic Association after a review of the selection procedure.
It means Aaron Cook, world number one in the under-80kg division, will not go to the Olympic Games, although the 21-year-old is already exploring legal avenues to challenge the decision by Great Britain Taekwondo to put forward Muhammad as their chosen selection.
After two days considering the selection process, the BOA's Olympic qualification standards (OQS) panel decided to ratify Muhammad's nomination.
"The decision by the British Olympic Association OQS panel to ratify the nomination was unanimous," said a BOA statement.
Cook had been overlooked three times by GB Taekwondo but after complaints by the athlete the BOA, and also the World Taekwondo Federation, launched reviews into the selection process.
After a teleconference involving the BOA board, the OQS panel - which can only accept or reject nominations and is not permitted to select their own choice - then conferred with the WTF this afternoon before coming to the conclusion to back the choice of Muhammad.
However, the BOA said the OQS panel reserves the right to reconsider the nomination subject to the findings of the ongoing inquiry being led by WTF.
Today's decision, said the BOA, was taken for a number of reasons.
"In convening a selection committee for a third time in order to bring forward a nomination for the men's -80 kg weight category British Taekwondo did in fact follow its approved selection procedures and did comply with the directives given to it by an earlier appeal panel and the OQS panel," said the statement.
"The decision to ratify the nomination was taken following an extensive review of the selection process followed by British Taekwondo.
"The OQS panel also consulted with the British Olympic Association board of directors and the World Taekwondo Federation.
"The OQS Panel reserves the right to reconsider the nomination subject to the findings of the ongoing inquiry being led by the World Taekwondo Federation."
There was some criticism for the way GB Taekwondo had managed the selection process though.
"The OQS panel expressed strong disappointment in the manner by which the selection process has been managed by the national governing body," added the statement.
"In particular, the undue strain and uncertainty that has been brought upon two world-class athletes.
"The OQS panel also expressed concern over the lack of transparency in the selection process and the inconsistent communication with the two athletes involved."
For future Olympic Games the BOA hopes to work with GB Taekwondo to implement selection policies which place a greater emphasis on objectivity and transparency.
BOA chief executive Andy Hunt said the OQS panel felt the selection process should have been handled better.
"There are two world-class athletes directly impacted by this nomination," he said.
"Our panel would have preferred to see the selection process managed in a manner that would have been of much greater service to both athletes.
"That said, after a thorough review, the panel is now sufficiently satisfied that the agreed selection procedures have been followed, and it is on that basis we are ratifying the nomination.
"With two exceptionally talented athletes in consideration for one place there is no doubt this was a difficult decision for the British Taekwondo selection committee, which makes following the approved selection procedures all the more important."
Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
Angel Di Maria to Bayern Munich: The reasons why Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben will not be joining Manchester United
Manchester United transfer news: No 9 shirt left vacant - a hint that new striker will be arriving?
Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview after being asked about possible sale of Manchester United target Sergio Ramos
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Kyrgios set for heavy fine for giving up game during loss to Richard Gasquet
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts