Armstrong confronted with legal charges by US drug authorities
Thursday 14 June 2012
The United States Anti-Doping Agency have initiated legal proceedings over allegations of doping against seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.
The USADA revealed it had sent Armstrong written notification regarding “allegations of anti-doping rule violations” during his time with the United States Postal Service (USPS) cycling team.
The USADA confirmation came hours after Armstrong, 40, had released a statement of his own to angrily deny the claims, which, if proved, could see him stripped of the Tour titles he won while with USPS.“I have been notified that USADA, an organisation largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules, intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned,” Armstrong said.
Meanwhile, David Millar has become the first athlete to benefit from the rescinding of the British Olympic Association’s bye-law barring anyone who has served a ban for doping from competing in the Games. Millar was yesterday named in the 18-strong cycling team for next month’s Olympics.
The Scot, 35, served a two-year suspension after admitting using the blood booster EPO in 2004, but the decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in April to declare the British Olympic ban invalid cleared the way for his return. He could well be followed into Team GB by Dwain Chambers – the athletics team is announced at the start of next month.
Millar, who has become a vocal anti-doping campaigner, was named as part of an eight-man squad for the road race which will be cut to five before the Games. Millar was part of the team that helped Mark Cavendish win the world championship in Copenhagen last year and is likely to be among the Olympic quintet. A decision will be made on 29 June. He will not though win a medal as only the team leader, Cavendish, is so rewarded for a podium finish.
Sir Chris Hoy, who has been selected for a fourth Games, supported Millar’s selection. He said: “I’m comfortable with whoever is selected for the team because they are eligible. It’s never been about an individual.”
The only surprise in the British team named in Manchester yesterday saw 19-year-old Philip Hindes, who was born in Germany but qualifies through his British father, chosen in the sprint squad alongside Hoy.
Chelsea injury news: Cesc Fabregas and Branislav Ivanovic could join Diego Costa on the sidelines for crucial Manchester City clash
Australian Open 2015: Thanks to Amelie Mauresmo, it's no longer Andy Murray against the world
Manchester United sign former Manchester City prospect Sadiq El Fitouri on advice from Phil Neville and Paul Scholes
Kim Sears 'swearing' outburst threatens to overshadow Andy Murray's Australian Open semi-final win
Arsene Wenger photobombs Arsenal photo shoot - manages to look like famous 'Bigfoot' picture
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account