Liu Xiang among Chinese athletes to switch training base to Germany 'thanks to London's cold weather'
Wednesday 18 July 2012
Hurdler Liu Xiang has gone to train in Germany because London is too cold.
The official China Daily yesterday quoted coach Sun Haiping as saying Liu, China's biggest hope for an athletics gold at London, will train in
Germany to get away from the wet and cold weather. The Olympic track competition begins August 3.
Sun says, "Other Chinese teams have also chosen to move their (training) base thanks to London's cold weather, so Liu Xiang is not the only one."
Liu, who won in 2004 at Athens to become the first Chinese man to claim an Olympic athletics gold medal, will compete in London after shocking the home crowd in Beijing four years ago when he had to withdraw before his heat because of an injury.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Nottingham Forest vs Fulham match report: Britt Assombalonga hat-trick deepens Felix Magath's gloom
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal player ratings: How did Ozil and Welbeck do in Germany?
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Bayern Munich vs Manchester City player ratings: Joe Hart? Thomas Muller? Jerome Boateng? Who was the star man?
Chelsea vs Schalke player ratings: Cesc Fabregas? Didier Drogba? Klaas-Jan Huntelaar? Who was the star man?
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter