Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Usain Bolt says ahead of London 2012 Olympics: 'I'm ready to go'


Usain Bolt has revealed he will be "ready to go" at the London Olympics after recovering from a stiff back and hamstring problems.

Fitness concerns have dogged the 25-year-old's build-up to the Games where he will be defending his 100 metres and 200m titles.

Bolt, who will carry the Jamaican flag at tomorrow's opening ceremony, said: "I have been training great over the past two-and-a-half weeks so everything is coming together.

"I had slight problems but nothing too serious. I am ready to go."

Bolt, who was speaking at a press conference in east London, added: "The vibe is good and I am happy.

"I am always ready, for me I keep telling you guys it's always about the champs, it's never about one run, never about the trials."

The world's fastest man was beaten by training partner Yohan Blake in the 100 metres and 200 metres at the Jamaican Olympic trials last month.

He then withdrew from last Friday's Diamond League meeting in Monaco with a minor hamstring problem.

He was conspicuous by his absence from the team's open training session at the University of Birmingham on Tuesday.

He said: "The coach determines if I train in front of the cameras, he doesn't really like the cameras."