Aussies plans to clean up over 'soap-dodging' Brits
Tuesday 12 August 2008
The president of the Australian Olympic committee has stoked the rivalry between his nation's athletes and Team GB by effectively describing Britain as a nation of soap-dodging losers.
Britain is targeting Australia's typical fourth place at the 2012 Games, to be hosted in London. Overtaking the Antipodeans here would show that is a realistic goal, not a pipedream. Australia's sports minister Kate Ellis has even challenged her counterpart Gerry Sutcliffe to a bet on which country will be better in Beijing.
Coates weighed in yesterday, albeit good-humouredly. Asked if he was surprised by Britain's good start here, including Rebecca Adlington's gold in the pool, said: "Great Britain may have been in lane seven and eight but, um, they seem to be getting there for a country that has very few swimming pools and not much soap."
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc