Blonska stripped of heptathlon silver
Friday 22 August 2008
Lyudmila Blonska has been stripped of her Olympic silver medal in the heptathlon for doping.
The Ukrainian athlete has been disqualified and kicked out of the Beijing Games by the International Olympic Committee. Blonska tested positive for a steroid after finishing second in the heptathlon last Saturday.
She was temporarily suspended by the IOC on Thursday, and her medal was officially removed today. Blonska was also dropped from today's long jump final.
The IOC also reserved the right to take sanctions against her coach, Sergei Blonsky.
American Hyleas Fountain is in line to take the heptathlon silver, with Russia's Tatiana Chernova moving from fourth to bronze.
Blonska faces a lifetime ban because it was her second doping offense. She is the biggest name among the five athletes who have tested positive so far at the games.
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Robin van Persie: Manchester United may have more joy if striker is dropped by David Moyes
Chris Powell sacked: Charlton confirm manager fired despite being in talks to sign new contract
Why does Manuel Pellegrini keep picking Martin Demichelis for Manchester City?
England 29 Wales 18 player ratings: Who was the star man at Twickenham?
Bayern Munich v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pleads for 'fair chance' from referee as Arsenal look to turn around Champions League deficit
- 1 Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering nest of potentially deadly spiders in bananas
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
- 5 Bob Crow death: RMT Union leader dies of massive heart attack aged 52
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home