Blonska stripped of heptathlon silver
Friday 22 August 2008
Lyudmila Blonska has been stripped of her Olympic silver medal in the heptathlon for doping.
The Ukrainian athlete has been disqualified and kicked out of the Beijing Games by the International Olympic Committee. Blonska tested positive for a steroid after finishing second in the heptathlon last Saturday.
She was temporarily suspended by the IOC on Thursday, and her medal was officially removed today. Blonska was also dropped from today's long jump final.
The IOC also reserved the right to take sanctions against her coach, Sergei Blonsky.
American Hyleas Fountain is in line to take the heptathlon silver, with Russia's Tatiana Chernova moving from fourth to bronze.
Blonska faces a lifetime ban because it was her second doping offense. She is the biggest name among the five athletes who have tested positive so far at the games.
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc