Blonska stripped of heptathlon silver
Friday 22 August 2008
Lyudmila Blonska has been stripped of her Olympic silver medal in the heptathlon for doping.
The Ukrainian athlete has been disqualified and kicked out of the Beijing Games by the International Olympic Committee. Blonska tested positive for a steroid after finishing second in the heptathlon last Saturday.
She was temporarily suspended by the IOC on Thursday, and her medal was officially removed today. Blonska was also dropped from today's long jump final.
The IOC also reserved the right to take sanctions against her coach, Sergei Blonsky.
American Hyleas Fountain is in line to take the heptathlon silver, with Russia's Tatiana Chernova moving from fourth to bronze.
Blonska faces a lifetime ban because it was her second doping offense. She is the biggest name among the five athletes who have tested positive so far at the games.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men