Brabants through to kayak final
Monday 18 August 2008
Britain's Tim Brabants and Canada's Adam van Koeverden powered through Monday's Olympic preliminaries in the men's 1,000 metre kayak race, the sport's blue riband event, to secure spots in Friday's final.
Brabants, the event's world champion, clocked the day's fastest time and dominated the race from the gun to secure an automatic berth in the final.
"I didn't really want to send a message, it's more like I wanted to remind myself why I came here, I wanted to reassure myself by winning the heat," Brabants said.
He added that van Koeverden would be the man to keep an eye on in the final.
"He's my main rival for the medal, I'm the only person who has beat him this year," Brabants said.
Van Koeverden, the reigning Olympic champion in the shorter, 500 metre event, said it was not worth reading too much into Monday's races.
"It was just a preliminary race, (I was) just getting my feet in the water," he said after winning the second heat.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget