Disappointment for Idowu
Thursday 21 August 2008
Britain's Phillips Idowu tonight saw Olympic gold snatched from his grasp by an agonising five centimetres in the triple jump final in Beijing.
Idowu produced his best jump of the year to lead with 17.62 metres after the third round, only to see Portugal's Nelson Evora then leap 17.67m in the next round.
Matching his personal best of 17.68m would have given Idowu gold, but the 29-year-old Londoner was unable to improve in the final two rounds and had to settle for silver. Leevan Sands of the Bahamas claimed bronze with 17.59m while Britain's Larry Achike was seventh.
Idowu's misfortune rounded off a miserable night for the British team with the defending champion 4x100 metres relay team disqualified from the semi-finals.
Anderlecht vs Arsenal match report: Kieran Gibbs and Lukas Podolski pounce as Arsenal leave it late
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Arsenal player ratings
Mario Balotelli substituted at half-time against Real Madrid: Was this shirt swapping the real reason?
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'