Disappointment for Idowu
Thursday 21 August 2008
Britain's Phillips Idowu tonight saw Olympic gold snatched from his grasp by an agonising five centimetres in the triple jump final in Beijing.
Idowu produced his best jump of the year to lead with 17.62 metres after the third round, only to see Portugal's Nelson Evora then leap 17.67m in the next round.
Matching his personal best of 17.68m would have given Idowu gold, but the 29-year-old Londoner was unable to improve in the final two rounds and had to settle for silver. Leevan Sands of the Bahamas claimed bronze with 17.59m while Britain's Larry Achike was seventh.
Idowu's misfortune rounded off a miserable night for the British team with the defending champion 4x100 metres relay team disqualified from the semi-finals.
Crystal Palace manager latest: Malky Mackay ruled out due to messy departure from previous club Cardiff
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women