Doha and Baku out of running for 2020 Olympic Games
Thursday 24 May 2012
The cities of Doha and Baku have been cut from the list of candidates to stage the 2020 Olympic Games.
Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul made the cut as the International Olympic Committee executive board reduced the number of cities from five to three during a meeting in Quebec, Canada.
Both Doha, the capital of Qatar, and Baku, the Azerbaijan capital, were rejected for a second time in a row after failing to make the final list for the 2016 Games which were awarded to Rio.
The winner of the three-city race will be announced in Buenos Aires on September 7, 2014.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Ian Herbert: Work still to do before this Liverpool can be compared to class of ’08
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
- 1 Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police