IOC suspends Blonska for doping
Thursday 21 August 2008
Heptathlon silver medalist Lyudmila Blonska has been temporarily suspended from the Beijing Olympics pending a final ruling in her doping case.
International Olympic Committee spokeswoman Giselle Davies says the Ukrainian athlete has be removed from the start list for Friday's long jump final.
The IOC's disciplinary commission met to hear her case today and decided to provisionally suspend her. The IOC's ruling executive board will issue its final ruling on Friday.
Blonska, who finished second in the heptathlon last Saturday, tested positive for a banned substance. If found guilty of doping, she will be stripped of the medal and expelled from the games.
Blonska also competed in the long jump and was third in qualifying.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'