Japan's Olympic Committee backs Tokyo's 2020 bid
Thursday 23 June 2011
The Japanese Olympic Committee has formally asked Tokyo to bid for the 2020 Summer Games.
Committee chief Tsunekazu Takeda on Thursday met with Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara, who has voiced support for the city hosting of the 2020 Olympics. Ishihara was also the driving force when Tokyo lost out to Rio de Janeiro in its bid to host the 2016 games.
National Olympic committees have until Sept. 1 to submit bids for the 2020 Games.
Ishihara has said he wants to bring the Olympics to Tokyo as a symbol of Japan's recovery from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, which left about 23,000 people dead or missing in northeastern Japan.
Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
Brazil vs Germany match report World Cup 2014: Utter humiliation for hosts as Thomas Muller and Toni Kroos help Germany hit seven past Selecao
Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Heartbreaking photos show home fans reacting to humiliating defeat
Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Five reasons why Brazil will win the semi-final
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories