London celebrates two-year Olympic countdown
Tuesday 27 July 2010
Sir Chris Hoy imagined himself doing a lap of honour at the London 2012 Games today as he went for a ride for the first time at the Olympic velodrome.
Watched by a crew of cheering builders who had stopped work to look, the four-time Olympic cycle champion did circuits of a mocked-up 75m track inside the part-built venue.
Sir Chris, 33, at the Olympic Park in Stratford, east London, exactly two years before the Games start, said: "Just walking in here you get the feeling that this is an Olympic venue.
"This is where it is going to take place and hopefully where I will win one more Olympic gold medal.
"Just looking up at the stand and even the cheers from the construction workers, you can feel what it will be like when it is full to the rafters and being in an Olympic final.
"You can really sense it is getting more enthusiastic - two years to go, I really cannot wait."
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Mutual contempt burns as rivals Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho face off again
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Striker 'arrives in England' for talks over £25m switch
Wayne Rooney is Premier League's richest footballer with £72million worth but Lewis Hamilton leads the Sunday Times Rich List
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal faces difficult task as Liverpool hold 'secret' meeting with transfer target
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
- 1 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 2 Black Mass trailer: Johnny Depp might have started making good films again
- 3 Jacob Lescenski and Anthony Martinez: Straight student asks gay friend to High School prom and makes a million Twitter friends
- 4 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove