Munich bid for winter Olympic Games would make it first city to host both games
Monday 30 September 2013
Munich, which hosted the 1972 summer Olympics, will bid to stage the winter Games half a century later in 2022, German Olympic authorities said yesterday.
Apart from Almaty in Kazakhstan, there have been no official bids, but Poland, Ukraine, Spain, China and Norway are considering moves. Oslo residents have already voted in favour.
If Munich is elected in 2015 it will be the first city to win the summer and winter Olympics.
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin