Munich bid for winter Olympic Games would make it first city to host both games
Monday 30 September 2013
Munich, which hosted the 1972 summer Olympics, will bid to stage the winter Games half a century later in 2022, German Olympic authorities said yesterday.
Apart from Almaty in Kazakhstan, there have been no official bids, but Poland, Ukraine, Spain, China and Norway are considering moves. Oslo residents have already voted in favour.
If Munich is elected in 2015 it will be the first city to win the summer and winter Olympics.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Jagielka: Moyes needs to bring in his own players
United’s ambitious transfer plans at risk from top-four failure
English clubs ditch Heineken Cup - confirming they will not take part in any ERC run competition in 2014-15
Brazil World Cup 2014 draw: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims