Olympics News: Greene named GB Athletics captain
Tuesday 10 July 2012
The 400 metres hurdler Dai Greene was appointed the Team GB athletics captain yesterday.
The 26-year-old Welshman, who is reigning world, European and Commonwealth champion, previously captained the British athletics squad at the European Team Championships in Sweden last year. "It is an incredible privilege to be asked to captain the British athletics team at any time, but to be given the honour at a home Olympic Games is just incredible," Greene said. UK Athletics' head coach, Charles van Commenee, said Greene was a "standout candidate".
* Uruguay have named the Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and Napoli's Edinson Cavani in their 18-man Olympic football squad.
Cavani and Suarez, along with Palermo's Egidio Arevalo Rios, are the country's three overage players. Suarez's Liverpool team-mate Sebastian Coates is also part of a strong squad.
They will face Stuart Pearce's Great Britain in their third group game, on 1 August, after first playing the UAE and Senegal.
Going Up: Nigeria men's basketball
They became the final men's basketball side to qualify after they defeated the Dominican Republic 88-73. Ike Diogu scored 25 points in the match to help his country qualify for the Olympic basketball event for the first time.
Going Down: Mikel San Jose
The Athletic Bilbao defender has had to withdraw from Spain's football squad owing to chicken pox. He left their training camp yesterday to keep his team-mates from being affected. The team doctor said the rest of the squad were undergoing tests.
17 days to go
17: The total of summer Olympic gold medals won by Argentina, including seven in boxing, and two in athletics, football and polo.
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK