Team GB medal hopefuls in action today: August 12
Monday 23 July 2012
Your one-stop guide to the Team GB medal hopes in action at the Olympics today...
Place of Birth: England
Main Event: Boxing Super-Heavyweight
Rival: World Championship gold medal winner Magomedrasul Majidov of Azerbaijan
Medal Prospects: Favourite for gold
The 6’6 and 91kg Anthony Joshua has all the attributes to earn the title of Olympic champion. He was named 2011 Amateur Boxer of the Year by the Boxing Writers Club of Great Britain and has already been tipped for gold in London. The 22-year-old was runner up in last years World Championships, losing out by just one point to Magomedrasul Majidov. The two men are joint favourites for gold so another showdown in the final looks likely.
Dates of Event: August 1 – August 12
Place of Birth: Wales
Main Event: Boxing Flyweight
Rival: Misha Aloyan, Armenia
Medal Prospects: Has a great chance of winning gold Andrew Selby has already collected an array of medals throughout his career and has been tipped to add an Olympic title to his collection. Since moving down to the Flyweight division at the end of 2010 he has made the finals of both the European and the World Championships. His victory at the European Championships in 2011 saw him become the first Welshmen to win gold in 68 years.
Dates of Event: July 30 – August 12
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict