Olympic news you may have missed
Tuesday 12 June 2012
The British Equestrian Federation announced Zara Phillips' nomination in the five-person Great Britain team for the Olympics yesterday.
The 31-year-old won the coveted spot after a string of strong performances, particularly a third-place finish on High Kingdom at Bramham last weekend.
Phillips won the World Championship in 2006 and was selected to compete for the 2008 Beijing Olympics on Toytown, but her horse was injured and could not compete. "It's awesome, really excited, High Kingdom is a pretty cool, relaxed kind of guy," Phillips said last night.
* The first women boxers to compete for Britain at an Olympic tournament were announced yesterday by the British Olympic Association. They are Nicola Adams, Natasha Jonas and Savannah Marshall. "Three years ago women's boxing was not even an Olympic sport," said Adams, the European flyweight champion and world silver medallist. "So to think that I am going to represent Team GB in London is just the most amazing feeling." Adams, 29, is joined by the 21-year-old Marshall, who became Britain's first ever world champion in May.
"It is a very important moment to have three women representing British boxing at an Olympics for the first time," said Team GB's Chef de Mission, Andy Hunt.
"All of them are world medallists and have real potential to go all the way. I think these Games are going to be a lot about incredible achievements from Team GB's female athletes."
In the men's category, middleweight Anthony Ogogo and lightweight Josh Taylor were also confirmed by the BOA, meaning Britain will be represented by 10 boxers at the Games.
Team GB's weightlifters. The 18-year-old Zoe Smith was announced yesterday as part of Team GB's five-strong weightlifting squad for the Games. "I've worked so hard to get here and I'm so glad to have finally achieved it," Smith said. Team GB's weightlifting coach, Tamas Feher said: "I am convinced we will participate at London with our strongest and best prepared team."
Elena Kaliska. The Slovakian canoeist will not be given the chance to defend her Olympic K1 title in the canoe slalom in London after losing out to compatriot Jana Dukatova for her country's only spot in the event.
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant