Eight-months pregnant shooter pledges to deliver
Saturday 28 July 2012
A Malaysian woman who is eight months pregnant will compete in 10-metre air rifle at London 2012. She found out she would be a mother just days after learning she would be an Olympian.
Nur Suryani Mohammed Taibi is due to give birth in September. Feeling some of mum's Olympic excitement, the baby kicks, and between deep breaths Taibi will ask her unborn child for restraint during competition in Woolwich today.
"I will breathe in and breathe out and try to calm myself down and talk to baby: 'Behave yourself and help mummy to shoot.' And luckily she understands, she always understands," Taibi said yesterday.
Being pregnant means the 29-year-old Taibi has to get in and out of a special suit and belt for practice, but that is only one challenge: she is also drawing overwhelming attention that threatens her concentration ahead of today's competition.
She is aware she could go into labour at any moment, although she said she hopes to win a medal to be able to dedicate it to the baby. "If I won the medal, I will see this is as yours as you helped mummy so much," Taibi said. "Maybe you give me more strength."
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict