Fencing: Corinna Lawrence advances to the last 32
Monday 30 July 2012
British fencer Corinna Lawrence advanced to the last 32 of the women's epee with a 15-12 victory over Chilean Caterin Bravo Aranguiz at the ExCeL.
At 22 Plymouth-born Lawrence was 14 years younger than her opponent, but more importantly ranked 23 places higher at 43rd in the world.
That showed when the pressure was on at 11-10 with less than a minute left, but she will probably need to be at her absolute best in the second round to have a chance against Romanian world number four Simona Gherman.
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'