Fencing: Corinna Lawrence advances to the last 32
Monday 30 July 2012
British fencer Corinna Lawrence advanced to the last 32 of the women's epee with a 15-12 victory over Chilean Caterin Bravo Aranguiz at the ExCeL.
At 22 Plymouth-born Lawrence was 14 years younger than her opponent, but more importantly ranked 23 places higher at 43rd in the world.
That showed when the pressure was on at 11-10 with less than a minute left, but she will probably need to be at her absolute best in the second round to have a chance against Romanian world number four Simona Gherman.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Ian Herbert: Work still to do before this Liverpool can be compared to class of ’08
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
- 1 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police