Israel bars Palestinian athlete from Paralympic celebration
Thursday 07 June 2012
Israel has barred a paralysed Palestinian athlete who lives in Gaza from an Olympics celebration sponsored by the British government.
Khamis Zakout says the British Consulate in Jerusalem invited him and five fellow athletes on the Palestinian Paralympics team to a pre-Olympics celebration in Jerusalem and the West Bank city of Ramallah. He says he was the only one banned from attending.
The Israeli military says Zakout was barred for security reasons. The Shin Bet internal security service had no immediate comment.
The 47-year-old Zakout says he has no security record and worked in Israel before his legs were paralyzed in a work accident there in 1992.
Zakout competes in the javelin and shot put. He plans to travel from Gaza by way of Egypt to attend the London Olympics.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward