Rome out of race to host 2020 Olympics
Wednesday 15 February 2012
Rome has dropped out of the race to host the 2020 Olympics and in doing so has given a massive boost to Qatar's hopes.
Rome had been viewed as one of the favourites but its bid was scrapped yesterday after the Italian Premier, Mario Monti, said the government could not guarantee the necessary financial backing.
It leaves Doha in Qatar, Madrid, Istanbul and Baku in Azerbaijan in the running.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture