Frenchman Yannick Agnel claims second gold medal of London 2012 Olympics
Monday 30 July 2012
Frenchman Yannick Agnel won the 200 metres freestyle to claim his second Olympic title in 24 hours as Robbie Renwick finished sixth.
Agnel, just 20, anchored the French sprint freestyle squad to victory over the United States last night when he overhauled Ryan Lochte in the final 10 metres.
Tonight he led from the start and enjoyed a dominant victory in one minute 43.14 seconds with Beijing silver medallist Park Tae Hwan and 400m freestyle champion Sun Yang sharing silver while world champion Lochte was locked out of the medals in fourth.
Renwick was unlikely to feature in the battle for medals but his sixth-place finish in 1:46.63secs was creditable.
It meant there was a new Olympic champion with 2008 title-holder Michael Phelps having opted out in London.
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly 2 report: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2014 live: Lewis Hamilton heads towards second championship as Nico Rosberg has major engine troubles
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
Arsenal vs Manchester United player ratings: Who was the star man? Wayne Rooney or David De Gea?
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'