Welcome to the Hackney beach club
Sunseeker yachts and palm trees may not be a usual sight off the coast of Newham, but a developer is hoping a temporary island in a nearby canal will bring a bit of VIP sparkle to the Olympic borough.
Smoked salmon manufacturers Forman & Son have unveiled plans for the "Fish Island Riviera" just a hundred yards from the stadium this summer. The structure will host 30 corporate hospitality suites for the 17 days of the games, starting at £75,000 plus VAT – not including catering.
Yachts moored in the canal will also be available for hire, while the developers promise palm trees and cocktails in a beach club setting for those dropping by.
"Fish Island will be the VIP side of the Games. Guests can arrive in style by boat and enjoy the atmosphere surrounded by palm trees and yachts," Lance Forman, managing director of Forman's Fish Island, said.
"We expect athletes to come here to celebrate their medal wins."
The island will be situated next to Forman's new salmon smokery – the company was forced to move its factory off the site of the Olympic Park when London won the Games.
How Manchester United manager David Moyes must wish for some of Manuel Pellegrini’s problems
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
World Cup 2014: Your guide to Group A - Brazil; Croatia; Mexico; Cameroon
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail